Subject: Re: modemd and pppd dialup server
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/10/2001 22:15:59
On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 07:44:21PM +0000, oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:
> Manuel wrote:
>
> > No, you can have the same address on the LAN and the
> > ppp interface. However it's possible that the kernel
> > already has a route to 203.60.56.150 via the LAN.
> > 'netstat -rn' should tell you that.
>
> Okay...but what if, like when I am experimenting, I have
> both the PPP client and the server side-by-side on the
> same bench and with the Ethernet also up and working?

Hum, that's a problem then. You can use a private address
(10.0.0.1/10.0.0.2 for example) for your tests.

> How is it that the IP to the modem and the IP to the
> Ethernet card, being the same, and the destination
> machine being the same, that there will be no conflict,
> confusion, or other problems?

If the machine is also on the ethernet there will be problems (as I said
it already has a route to this IP through the ethernet).
Otherwise it'll works because the ppp is point to point.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>