Subject: Re: mgetty+sendfax setup on NetBSD V1.4.x
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/09/2001 18:43:16
> You can use /dev/tty* but then you won't be able to dial out while mgetty
> is waiting for a dial-in. cua* is dty* on NetBSD.
>
> I have this in my /etc/ttys:
> tty02   "/usr/pkg/sbin/mgetty"          unknown on secure
> (I don't care about dial-out so I use tty)
> Then setup mgetty.config
> In mine I have:
> speed 115200
> port tty02
> init-chat "" AT OK ATZ OK AT&F1 OK ATM0 OK
> data-only y

I'm not sure how much this may apply since I am using mgetty+sendfax with
NetBSD 1.5.1.  But I regularly dial-out while mgetty is waiting for dial-in.
I didn't know I wasn't supposed to, so I just tried it, and it seems to work
okay.

Here is my entry from /etc/ttys...

# tty00 is USR external modem with mgetty+sendfax running on it.
tty00   "/usr/pkg/sbin/mgetty -D -s 115200 -n 1" unknown on secure

...where "-D" says "data only" and "-s" says "speed 115200" and "-n"
says "number rings to wait before answer = 1".

All I had to do to segregate dial-out from dial-in was to put the conflicting
options in separate files (not all together in /etc/ppp/options). I have
dial-out options in /etc/ppp/peers/att (which calls /etc/ppp/peers/att.chat)
and the dial-in stuff I append to /usr/pkg/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config
thus...

/AutoPPP/ - a_ppp /usr/sbin/pppd auth refuse-chap require-pap
192.168.1.100:192.168.1.101 debug

...without the line-break. My PAP authentication works fine. But I'm still
having problems with ftp and telnet on the ppp uplink (downlink is fine). On
those options (all from man pppd) are NetBSD-ish substitutes for the
Linux-ish example below...

/AutoPPP? - a_ppp /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap
server_ip_addr:client_ip_addr debug

...Note, however, that I still have problems with ftp and telnet on the
uplink. Hope this is a bit of head-start for you (or, if you see my problem,
let me know?)

Regards,

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI USA