Subject: pppd one-way only?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/08/2001 21:26:16
Howdy,

Still working on AutoPPP and mgetty. Got my PAP to authenticate (btw -- a
single-line /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file must terminate with a newline char! --
else it won't work -- argh!!!) I don't use the "login" option because I don't
want, necessarily, to send my account name and/or passwd in the clear even
over telco lines. (It is an "option" right?) Anyway, PAP now authenticates.

But something wierd happens. PPP seems to only work one-way, kinda, sorta. I
can ping from the client to the server, and from the server to the client
over the modems and telco lines. So ping works both ways.

But ftp and telnet only work one-way -- from the server to the client. Now,
via Ethernet, I can ping, ftp and telnet both ways. But via ppp on mgetty I
can only ping both ways; ftp and telnet only work one way -- the way I don't
really need.

From the ppp-client to the ppp-server, both ftp and telnet will time out. But
in that same direction, ping works instantly. The ppp connection via mgetty
is two-way for ping, but one-way for ftp and telnet.

Any clues where to look to solve this puzzle.

Regards,

Gan