Subject: Sony Laptop Z505HS + PCMCIA cdrom, stray interrupt problem
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Gallagher <ggallag@foc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/08/2001 13:06:09
Hello,

   I just installed NetBSD for the first time and so far my experience
has been phenomenal!

   I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the one problem
I've been having, however ... on my Sony VIAO Laptop PCG Z505HS I
haven't been able to get my CDROM, which is accessed through a PCMCIA
card, to work.

   Basically, I try to mount /dev/cd0a and it gives me an error from
the kernel like so (sorry, I don't have it infront of me):

pcic0: irq 5
pcic0: stray interrupt 5

The command line give me some sort of an IO error and of course the
cdrom isn't mounted.  It makes a little "eeh" noise like the CD-ROM is
being activated but that's it.  I'm sure it isn't a hardware problem,
the drive works just fine.  I probably don't have the correct kernel
config, or there is a PnP problem.  I'm not sure why the drive is
trying to use irq 5, I thought it should be using irq3.  Something is
getting confused.

I can post more information, such as my kernel config (I've tried
several tho) and pertinent dmesg info, if that would help but I
thought I'd pose the question first, not having been subscribed to
this forum before today.

Is there anyone else out there using NetBSD on a Sony VIAO with a
similar PCMCIA CDROM drive that can send me their configuration?

Thanks in advance!!

--
Greg Gallagher
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator