Subject: de driver: autosense doesn't work for 21143
To: NetBSD Help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: B. James Phillippe <bryanxms@ecst.csuchico.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/07/2001 00:37:43
Hello,

I recently plopped a DE500(B) DEC 21143-PC based NIC in my
NetBSD-1.5.2/Alpha box.  It seems to operate fine with the exception that I
must manually set the media type.  For example, if I connect it to a
10baseT hub, it will not autoselect; I must "ifconfig de0 media 10baseT".
If I run "ifconfig de0 media auto" I get:

ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured

On bootup, the card is detected as follows:

de0 at pci0 dev 5 function 0
de0: interrupting at eb164 irq 2
de0: DEC DE500-BA 21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 3.0
de0: address 00:00:f8:08:e6:74
de0: enabling 100baseTX port

Note that no MII is detected, and indeed, when I look at the card, I see no
MII chips that I recognize.  The only suspect chip is labeled "ML6694CQ".

In any case, even without an MII this board should be capable of
autosense/autonegotiation/NWAY.  Is there something I'm missing, or should
I try the tlp driver?

thanks,
-bp
--
# bryan at terran dot org                      Support the American Red Cross
# http://www.terran.org/~bryan                    http://www.redcross.org