Subject: Re: Missing pkgs for gnome
To: pcw <pcw@karpy.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/06/2001 09:42:08
Peter,

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, pcw wrote:

> 	Tried to install gnome on my 1.51 i386 system so that I could run
> gnumeric to be able to read the occasional quotes we get sent in excel
> format.
>
> 	Turned into a major nightmare.

I also had problems with installing gnumeric this past week. See my
journal at http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/diary.html starting at
29/Sep/2001. This shows step by step every problem I had.

>       First since there was no gnome meta-pkg, I tried loading the
> edesktop meta-pkg from pkgsrc, since it seemed to contain a complete
> gnome desktop. This blew up after a few hours with missing dependencies. I
> was able to get a little further by downloading packages of some of the
> missing pieces and starting the edesktop make again.  Eventally I got to
> the point that I downloaded the gnome-core package but it has dependencies
> on packages that I cant find!

So we can help you, be sure to log the details. Then give us specific
information, like what versions of packages/pkgsrc you are trying to
install.

Anyways, I was successfully able to install gnome-core-1.4.0.4 and
gnumeric-0.68. gnumeric required 76 other packages to be installed!

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/