Subject: Re: mdsetimage: could not find symbols in netbsd
To: Boo Geum Jung <bgjung@etri.re.kr>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/04/2001 20:39:41
On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 04:18:16PM +0900, Boo Geum Jung wrote:
> > Have a look at the floppy build process in /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/
> > Basically you create a file of the required size with dd, attach it
> > to a vnd with vndconfig, newfs and mount the vnd device and populate
> > the filesystem.
>
> Thank you very much.
> I'm very sorry but I don't know well about i386/floppies.
> And I need ramdisk booting not with floppies.

This doesn't matter, boot floppies loads a kernel with a ramdisk. So this
directory have what's needed to build the ramdisk.

> Could you let me know which is copied to the mounted vnd device to popultae the filesystem.
> /netbsd, /user, swap, /etc, /dev, ... I guess.

The list is in 'list' in the subdirectories of i386/floppies/ (e.g.
i386/floppies/ramdisk-big).

Note that, to build the ramdisk for floppies, we use crunchgen, which
aggregate all needed binaries in one to save space.

Once the ramdisk images are build (in ramdisk-big, ramdisk-rescuesmall,
ramdisk-rescuetiny, ramdisk-small, ramdisk-tiny) the build process
writes the ramdisk image into the kernel. This is done in the kernel-ramdisk
and kernel-rescue directories,

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>