Subject: Re: problem with dhclient
To: None <russe@electriclichen.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/03/2001 16:28:41
russe@electriclichen.com writes:
> > It is inefficient to guess what's on your system -- type "ifconfig -a"
> > to list all your connected devices.
>
> This prints entries for many devices that I don't have on my system.

I guarantee you that you have each and every one of them. Some of them
may be pseudodevices like ppp and gif devices, but you've got
them. That shows all the network devices the kernel knows about -- no
more, no less.

> > If you don't notice your ethernet devices there, try typing "dmesg"
> > and scan your boot messages to see what happened when the machine
> > booted.
>
> Is there something specific I should be looking for?

You should be looking for the thing probing and examining the cardbus
device in question.

> > I'm sure it is, but your particular kernel might not. What version of
> > NetBSD are you running, and what type of kernel?
>
> I have installed the default 1.5.1 kernel from a CD that I purchased.
> I don't know enough about NetBSD to respond to your question about
> what type of kernel.

Okay, as the documentation explains, many modern laptops require that
a bunch of the PCIBIOS options be turned on, but they aren't on by
default in GENERIC.

One thing that might make things work better is using the kernel you
can get in
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.2/i386/binary/kernel/netbsd.GENERIC_LAPTOP.gz

> > > In a related note, I don't see my FAT32 partition when I run:
> > >
> > >   disklabel wd0
> >
> > That only shows your NetBSD disk label.
> >
> > Try the "fdisk" program to see the MBR partitions.
>
> OK.  I'm trying to mount my windows partition, I know it's the first
> MBR partition.  How do I name this partition, so I can give it as an
> argument to the mount command?

You have to allocate a slot in the NetBSD disklabel for the windows
partition and then mount mount the slot.

The deal is that NetBSD doesn't care about the MBR partitions, only
the partitions listed in its own disk label. (The only part of NetBSD
that actually knows anything about the MBR partitions is the boot
loader, which knows to look for NetBSD on the NetBSD MBR partition.)
Note that the NetBSD disk label lists absolute sectors on the disk,
not ones relative to its own MBR partition, so it is happy to think of
any contiguous slice of sectors on the disk as a "partition."

You thus take the parameters for the MBR partition windows runs on and
put them into a slot in the NetBSD partition so NetBSD will think of
that as a partition and let you mount it as an msdos file system.

As a real example, here is my fdisk output on a machine I own:

NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
cylinders: 16383 heads: 15 sectors/track: 63 (945 sectors/cylinder)

BIOS disk geometry:
cylinders: 1022 heads: 240 sectors/track: 63 (15120 sectors/cylinder)

Partition table:
0: sysid 11 (Primary DOS with 32 bit FAT)
    start 63, size 14333697 (6998 MB), flag 0x80
        beg: cylinder    0, head   1, sector  1
        end: cylinder  947, head 239, sector 63
1: sysid 169 (NetBSD)
    start 14333760, size 24736320 (12078 MB), flag 0x0
        beg: cylinder  948, head   0, sector  1
        end: cylinder 1021, head 239, sector 63

Note that the FAT file system starts at 63 and is 14333697 long.

I noted that the "h" partition on my drive was unused, and set up my
disk label on my machine this way:

8 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype  [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a:  23685480  14333760     4.2BSD   1024  8192    16   # (Cyl. 15168 - 40231)
 b:   1050840  38019240       swap                      # (Cyl. 40232 - 41343)
 c:  24736320  14333760     unused      0     0         # (Cyl. 15168 - 41343)
 d:  39070080         0     unused      0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 41343)
 h:  14333697        63      MSDOS                      # (Cyl.    0*- 15167)

This allows me to mount the windows partition as /dev/wd0h
(obviously). Remember to tell the mount command that it is an msdos
partition.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT be tempted to use the "c" or "d" partitions, even
though they are labeled "unused". They are special. c is the whole of
the NetBSD partition, and d is the whole disk. Lots of stuff requires
things to be that way!

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com