Subject: Re: problem with dhclient
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: None <russe@electriclichen.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/03/2001 15:55:48
Thanks for responding, Perry.

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> russe@electriclichen.com writes:
> > OK, some more information.  I figured out that "man -k ethernet" would
> > list all of the candidate ethernet devices, so I tried to run dhclient
> > on the 3com ones, because I have a 3com pcmcia card.  I ran for
> > example:
> >
> >   dhclient ex0
>
> It is inefficient to guess what's on your system -- type "ifconfig -a"
> to list all your connected devices.

This prints entries for many devices that I don't have on my system.
None of these devices are 3com ethernet cards.  When I can figure out
how to mount my windows partition, I can capture the output into a
file, and include the exact output.

> If you don't notice your ethernet devices there, try typing "dmesg"
> and scan your boot messages to see what happened when the machine
> booted.

Is there something specific I should be looking for?  I did notice
that there werer some messages about PCMCIA, so I know that at least
was identified.

> > This failed right away, and it also failed for all the other 3com
> > devices, so I don't think my thinkpad is recognizing my ethernet card.
> > The card says: "3Com MegaHertz Lan 10/100 LAN Cardbus PC pccard".  The
> > model number is 3CCFE575CT.
> >
> > I wonder whether this card is supported under NetBSD?
>
> I'm sure it is, but your particular kernel might not. What version of
> NetBSD are you running, and what type of kernel?

I have installed the default 1.5.1 kernel from a CD that I purchased.
I don't know enough about NetBSD to respond to your question about
what type of kernel.

> > In a related note, I don't see my FAT32 partition when I run:
> >
> >   disklabel wd0
>
> That only shows your NetBSD disk label.
>
> Try the "fdisk" program to see the MBR partitions.

OK.  I'm trying to mount my windows partition, I know it's the first
MBR partition.  How do I name this partition, so I can give it as an
argument to the mount command?

-russ

--
Those who do not know Lisp are doomed to reimplement it.