Subject: Re: problem with dhclient
To: None <russe@electriclichen.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/03/2001 13:09:24
russe@electriclichen.com writes:
> OK, some more information.  I figured out that "man -k ethernet" would
> list all of the candidate ethernet devices, so I tried to run dhclient
> on the 3com ones, because I have a 3com pcmcia card.  I ran for
> example:
>
>   dhclient ex0

It is inefficient to guess what's on your system -- type "ifconfig -a"
to list all your connected devices.

If you don't notice your ethernet devices there, try typing "dmesg"
and scan your boot messages to see what happened when the machine
booted.

> This failed right away, and it also failed for all the other 3com
> devices, so I don't think my thinkpad is recognizing my ethernet card.
> The card says: "3Com MegaHertz Lan 10/100 LAN Cardbus PC pccard".  The
> model number is 3CCFE575CT.
>
> I wonder whether this card is supported under NetBSD?

I'm sure it is, but your particular kernel might not. What version of
NetBSD are you running, and what type of kernel?

> In a related note, I don't see my FAT32 partition when I run:
>
>   disklabel wd0

That only shows your NetBSD disk label.

Try the "fdisk" program to see the MBR partitions.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com