Subject: dhcp client can't connect to sysconf socket
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/03/2001 11:49:52
Hello,

I'm converting an otherwise functional 1.4.2 box from a static IP address to
DHCP, because I've been moved to another building and attached to a different
network.  I've never dealt with DHCP before.

One minor difference is that I used to use coax and the new connection is
10BaseT.   To get my DE205-AB to use the coax port, I used to have a line:

	ifconfig lc0 link0 link1

in my rc.conf.  For twisted pair, that line now reads:

	ifconfig lc0 link0

because media autoselect doesn't work on this particular antique card.

The problem is that rc.conf doesn't run until after dhclient runs.
As a result, on booting I see the following on the screen (are
they in a log file somewhere?):

> starting dhcp client.... [banner] V2.0b1pl25+
> [more banner]
> Listening on BPF/lc0/08:00:2b:37:d2:a2
> Sending on   BPF/lc0/08:00:2b:37:d2:a2
> Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
> DHCPDISCOVBER on lc0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
> can't connect to sysconf socket: No such file of directory
> DHCPDISCOVBER on lc0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
> DHCPDISCOVBER on lc0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
> [etc.]

Then DHCP goes to sleep, the bootup completes (and rc.local runs).
If I log in right away, ifconfig shows lc0 as address 0.0.0.0, but after
a minute or so it shows a correct address and everything looks OK.

How can I make this work smoothly?  Am I supposed to put the ifconfig
command at the top of a customized /etc/dhclient.conf?

Thanks for any help.

--jkl