Subject: Re: ftp fast/slow over LAN
To: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/03/2001 12:02:07
>I took the ThinkPad to work and the ThinkPad had no such problems with the NT.
>
>At home, now have 3 machines on the LAN:
>
>GUS is the NetBSD tower. ThinkPad is the NetBSD laptop. Solo is the Win98
>laptop. ThinkPad and Solo both have identical PCMCIA LAN cards: Lynksis
>EtherFast 10/100 PC. Test file for ftp is rsync-2.4.6.tar.gz Here are the
>times:
>
>Solo does get from ThinkPad = 7.32KBytes/sec
>Solo does put to Thinkpad = 606.33Kbytes/sec
>
>Solo does get from GUS = 7.39Kbytes/sec
>Solo does put to GUS = 877.58Kbytes/sec
>
>ThinkPad does get from GUS = 28.12 KB/s
>ThinkPad does put to GUS = 1.24 MB/s (thats Mega!)
>
>GUS does get from ThinkPad = 488.51 KB/s
>GUS does put to ThinkPad = 6.13 KB/s

Wow, that's interesting. You say that it had good speed in both get
and put when talking to the NT server at work? That makes it seem
like a problem with the ftp daemon and not with the ftp client or the
ethernet card, nor an issue with the laptop's speed as hypothesized
earlier. Unfortunately, the ftp daemon seems to run fine for other
users (such as ftp.netbsd.org), so it doesn't seem to be a global bug.

Got me,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.