Subject: Re: ftp fast/slow over LAN
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/02/2001 21:52:48
I took the ThinkPad to work and the ThinkPad had no such problems with the NT.

At home, now have 3 machines on the LAN:

GUS is the NetBSD tower. ThinkPad is the NetBSD laptop. Solo is the Win98
laptop. ThinkPad and Solo both have identical PCMCIA LAN cards: Lynksis
EtherFast 10/100 PC. Test file for ftp is rsync-2.4.6.tar.gz Here are the
times:

Solo does get from ThinkPad = 7.32KBytes/sec
Solo does put to Thinkpad = 606.33Kbytes/sec

Solo does get from GUS = 7.39Kbytes/sec
Solo does put to GUS = 877.58Kbytes/sec

ThinkPad does get from GUS = 28.12 KB/s
ThinkPad does put to GUS = 1.24 MB/s (thats Mega!)

GUS does get from ThinkPad = 488.51 KB/s
GUS does put to ThinkPad = 6.13 KB/s

I don't know how to get an FTP daemon running on the Solo,
so I don't have any "get from" or "put to" the Solo. At
work, to test the ThinkPad against the NT, I had to call
up Exceed and get the Hummingbird "inetd" service for ftp
running.

The Tower GUS will not accept this...

# ifconfig fxp0 mediaopt half-duplex

...but it will accept...

# ifconfig fxp0 mediaopt full-duplex.

...and if I do this...

# ifconfig fxp0 media 100BaseTX

...the "full duplex" report for "ifconfig fxp0" disappears. And
then it will go slowest of all, down around 2 KB/s. When I put it
back like this...

# ifconfig fxp0 media 100BaseTX mediaopt full-duplex

...it gets to doing like before, as described previously. All the
while, the FDX (assume to mean Full DupleX) lights stay lit green
on the Ethernet switch. The 100 (versus 10) lights stay green all
the while too. The "collision" yellow LED's do not ever light up on the
switch.

Clues?

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI USA