Subject: Re: problem with dhclient
To: None <russe@electriclichen.com>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/02/2001 13:37:32
On 2 Oct 2001 russe@electriclichen.com wrote:

> The boot up messages look like this:
>
> DHCPDISCOVER on strip1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
> send_packet network is down
>
> repeated with different, increasing intervals.

This just means that you don't have a network attached to the strip1
interface. Looking in the manual:

     strip - Metricom Ricochet packet radio wireless network device

It's not surprising you don't have such an interface configured.

> ifconfig -a reports many entries, here is the entry for strip1 (I
> still haven't figured out a way to mount my FAT32 partition, so I can
> easily capture all the output.  I just typed in this part):

Can you work out which of the entries corresponds to your Ethernet
interface?

Let us suppose that your Ethernet interface is ex0. Then you would want to
add to /etc/rc.conf a line:

dhclient_flags="ex0"

This will tell dhclient to try to configure ex0 and nothing else, rather
than its default behaviour of trying to configure every network interface
on your system.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget