Subject: problem with dhclient
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <russe@electriclichen.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/01/2001 10:55:16
I'm new to NetBSD, and I'm trying to get my new NetBSD system onto the
network.

I have a lovely NetBSD 1.5.1 installation on an IBM Thinkpad 600XL,
connected to the network over a PCMCIA ethernet card.  I've got a four
port Linksys router sitting in front of a cable modem.  The Linksys is
providing IP addresses using DHCP.

I've read the NetBSD faq, the dhclient man page, and the
dhclient.conf, and made the following configuration changes.  I've
edited /etc/rc.conf, and set the variable dhclient=YES, and on reboot
lots of interface configuring seems to happens, but I get repeated
messages about the network being down.  I've also created an empty
/etc/dhclient.conf file.  I'm not sure what else if anything needs to
be configured.

I can also boot this machine into Windows ME.  My dhcp setup seems to
work fine in this environment, so I know that the Ethernet card works,
that the cabling works, etc.

I'm pretty sure I've misconfigured something on the NetBSD side.
Maybe my system can't talk to the PCMCIA ethernet card?  I wonder if I
have to do something to get this enabled and working.  The interface
configuration messages are not saved in the output of dmesg, so I was
not able to cut and paste them verbatim into this email.

Any ideas about how to proceed are much appreciated.

-russ

--
Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?  Who knows? Who cares?