Subject: Re: pipe(2)
To: Louis <razbitum@yahoo.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/29/2001 17:19:22
On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 09:18:28AM -0700, Louis wrote:

>   Hi,
>
> A friend and I are working on a program (currently on
> FreeBSD) that uses the FreeBSD bidirectional pipe(2).
> We'd like to port it on NetBSD and OpenBSD but they
> only have unidirectional pipes.
> Is there any remplacement mechanism fot that ?

Um, can you use sockets somehow? Or a pair of pipes?

I'm under the impression that pipes are defined as being unidirectional
but some systems have extended them to bidirectional. So, if you
rely on bidirectional pipes then you have architected yourself into
an unportable corner.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper