Subject: Re: Which modem to buy
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/27/2001 03:43:56
> Nothing wrong with internal modems.  I use them all the time.  You just
  have to be careful not to get a WinModem.  This is the tricky part.  Most
  new internal modems are WinModems.  You have to investigate carefully
  because the guy selling it to you won't understand your requirements.
  Also, make sure that you can set it without Windows.  This isn't current
  (it was current two years ago) but USR (3Com now?) made a modem in two models:

      1.024.1694-00
      1.024.1694-02

> The latter doesn't work as it requires windows software to set it up.
  It's not a Winmodem - that's a different problem.  It's just that it
  can't be set up without the Windows setup software that they supply.
  I assume that that can be fixed if we had details from 3Com.

  The other (it's the voice version) has jumpers so you can set the irq
  and addresses manually.

  Hope this helps.

  --
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@{druid|vex}.net>

Are these modems ISA or PCI?  Did the latter modem use Plug & Pray with no
jumpers?  What jumpers, if any, does a PCI hardware modem require to work in
non-Windows?  Is there any PCI Plug & Pray, or was that only for ISA?

My current modem is Diamond SupraExpress 56i, ISA, with optional jumpers to set
address & IRQ.  Other option is Plug & Pray.