Subject: Re: Install NetBSD with Win2K Using PartitionMagic
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/26/2001 19:56:34
According to oinkfreebiker@att.net:

>My main qestion is: can I install NetBSD from the Wasabi
>NetBSD 1.5 CD WITHOUT having the Wasabi isntall disk RE-
>PARTITION the disk?

It has been a while since I did an install but the last one I did do
was a mixed NT/NetBSD disk.  When the installer asks if you want to
use the whole disk, say no.  You should then, I think, be put into the
fdisk partition editor - I assume you already have your partition for
NetBSD set up with the correct id on it, in which case you should just
be able to quit the fdisk (this is covered in the "editing the Master
Boot Record" part of the install document).  You should then be asked
to partition up the NetBSD portion of the disk, this is not the same
as the fdisk - this sets up the NetBSD portion of the disk for use by
NetBSD (See "editing the NetBSD disklabel" part of the install
document).  Once these are set up then just follow the instructions
for installing the binary sets onto the disk.

>Always, the Wasabi NetBSD 1.5 CD wants to partition the
>disk. I can partition it well enough with
>PartitionMagic. I'm afraid to lose all of Win2K if I let
>Wasabi go ahead and do that.

If you have not already done so, make a backup of your data on the W2k
partition - be prepared to toast the W2k partition so that if it does
happen you have lost nothing.  Normally I do a basic install of NT/W2k
first (you have to because Microsoft is rude and just overwrites the
bootloader) and then do my NetBSD install.  Once I have both OS's
happily coexisting I then load up all the other stuff - this way if I
have to trash one of the OS's and start again I have not lost much.
Unfortunately, not everyone has the luxury of doing this....

>Who knows the safe way?

Messing with partition tables is not a safe thing to do.