Subject: Accessibility for blinds to NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Yannick PLASSIARD <yannick.plassiard@free.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/23/2001 09:43:44

------=_NextPart_000_0069_01C12BB8.194F78A0

Hello,
    I am a blind user of Linux for now, but, for some reasons, I must =
use a NetBSD system. To do so, I thought about making a port of the =
BrlTty (http://www.mielke.cc/brltty) to the NetBSD system. The BrlTty =
program actually runs only on a Linux box. The main problem is that in =
NetBSD, there is no Virtual Console Screen Access implemented: under =
Linux, the VCSA interface is used to grab informations from the screen. =
So, tu make brltty running on the NetBSD system, I have two questions:
* Is there a way to emulate the Linux VCSA interface on the NetBSD =
system ?
* and how could I create and access a virtual terminal (in a C source)?
The second sollution could be better because BrlTty would be portable to =
any UNIX-style system without the need to implement oremulate a VCSA =
interface.

Best regards to all of you,
    Yannick PLASSIARD
    yannick.plassiard@free.fr

------=_NextPart_000_0069_01C12BB8.194F78A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am a blind user of =
Linux for=20
now, but, for some reasons, I must use a NetBSD system. To do so, I =
thought=20
about making a port of the BrlTty (<A=20
href=3D"http://www.mielke.cc/brltty">http://www.mielke.cc/brltty</A>) to =
the=20
NetBSD system. The BrlTty program actually runs only on a Linux box. The =
main=20
problem is that in NetBSD, there is no Virtual Console Screen Access=20
implemented: under Linux, the VCSA interface is used to grab =
informations from=20
the screen. So, tu make brltty running on the NetBSD system, I have two=20
questions:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>* Is there a way to emulate the Linux =
VCSA=20
interface on the NetBSD system ?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>* and how could I create and access a =
virtual=20
terminal (in a C source)?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The second sollution could be better =
because BrlTty=20
would be portable to any UNIX-style system without the need to implement =

oremulate a VCSA interface.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Best regards to all of =
you,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Yannick =
PLASSIARD</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
yannick.plassiard@free.fr</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0069_01C12BB8.194F78A0--