Subject: Re: I need help
To: Mzulu <mzulu@coppernet.zm>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/17/2001 12:43:06
On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Mzulu wrote:

> I have a sound card on my computer, but don't know how to set up the
> right mixer device or how to check on the sound card or even which
> mixer device to download. I am kindly asking for your help.

First check to see if you even have a sound card configured:
  grep -2 -i audio /var/run/dmesg.boot

If not, look in your kernel configuration and see if it can be added. On
one of my systems, I have:
 eap0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: Ensoniq AudioPCI (rev. 0x01)
 eap0: interrupting at irq 12
 audio0 at eap0: full duplex, mmap, independent
 midi0 at eap0: AudioPCI MIDI UART

My kernel config has:

eap*    at pci? dev ? function ?        # Ensoniq AudioPCI
audio*  at eap?
midi*   at eap?                 # 137[01] MIDI port

You don't need to download a mixer -- one may already be installed. For
example, try the following to current mixer settings and choice:
  mixerctl -a -v

You may also need to make sure certain devices are available:
  ls -l /dev/{audio*,mixer*,sound*}

Good luck,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/

p.s. You may want to use subject lines that describe your current topic or
situation better.