Subject: Set up after install.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Walker <diw@tpg.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/14/2001 01:28:57
I have just installed the os and am trying to set up various features for
example X.
I have tried to run SuperProbe but get an error.

SuperProbe: CONSOLE_X_MODE_ON failed
SuperProbe: Cannot Open Video

Wondering if anyone knows what these things mean and what I can do.

I have tried running xf86config but feel a little unconfident about
specifying my monitor settings due to lack of documentation.
My Win95 probe tells me that it supports:
720X400 at 70Hz
640X480 at 60,67,75
800X600 at 60
1024X768 at 87 Interlaced
1024X768 at 75
although I'm not too confident in these values and they don't seem to follow
any of the defaults in xf86config.
My monitor is an IBM and I have never been able to find out exactly what
model it is. I have done an FCC ID search to no avail and the model no. on
the case bears no relevance to what's listed at ibm.com
Nearest I can figure my model PC was sold with an IBM 6540 G42 monitor. I
have loaded the device drivers for these into Windows which is perhaps where
my Windows software is deriving its results from (from the device driver and
not the monitor).
This is why I would like to run SuperProbe, hopefully it can probe my
monitor.

I'm also a little curious as to my mouse. It's always been detected as a
PS/2 under MS Windows but apparently according to xf86config this is not the
most common type of 2 button mouse. I've never heard of any other types of 2
button mice let alone anything more common than a PS/2.

Does anyone know of a very easy guide to what setting passwords is all
about.
I read somewhere that when I first login I should type 'root' to gain access
to everything but everytime I boot I get the recommendation to create a
single user account. Wondering why and how.