Subject: Primer
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Walker <diw@tpg.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/12/2001 14:40:04
Cheers folks.
Thanks to all respondents for my rc.conf and install posts.
You sure are a friendly bunch.
I wonder if there is an internet primer on setting up and using netbsd.
Purdue Uni. has a tutorial on vi and general Unix stuff (working with files,
directories, etc.). Thanks old bear.
I would really like to find a list of all the various conf files in netbsd,
where they are, what they are for and how to set them up.
It seems that to be able to access applications such as X, I have to set
stuff up.
I thought the beauty of Unix family programs might be the fact that most
things are configurable to a high degree and that things don't happen unless
you want them to. Eliminating excess from the os and getting better more
stable performance.
Unfortunately this sort of creates a minefield for me, a neophyte.
If I was to ask a question everytime I didn't know something I would be
posting 20 times a day.
I sort of wonder if when I get X going if it makes the fs more accessible
and easier to edit whatever needs to be edited. I still wouldn't know what
to do but at least I might be able to find the files?
I have been using the manual and it's good but as it doesn't seem to be
aimed at people like me at the moment it provides more of a reference to
syntax questions and only the questions I know how to ask.
Any URI's greatfully appreciated.
Best Wishes,
David Walker
diw@tpg.com.au