Subject: vi vs. ed was Re: rc.conf
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/10/2001 10:07:01
My 11=A2,

Coming from my background as a Machead and it's tools (mainly Word
for me) I find vi more to my liking since I can actual see what I'm
editing unlike ed.  I know I can learn to use ed, but my productivity
would go down since I'd have to go through convolutions to see it's
effects.  Of course I started on NetBSD with a semester's worth of
time on vi thanks to my FORTRAN class at Cal.  It's due to the visual
nature of vi that I'd recommend it to newbies to UNIX since, I
assume, they're background will mainly be in using GUI tools like
Word, etc., and vi, while it's pretty different from Word, can be
understood a bit better since it has visual feedback like Word.
--
Randy

OS X - UNIX for the rest of us
NetBSD - I got it up and running!