Subject: Re: rc.conf
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Claude Marinier <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/10/2001 12:46:03
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Andrew Brown wrote:
> well...i'd argue that it's easy to tell someone what to press, but
> most people these days are going to be quite perturbed at not being
> able to see what they're editing.

This is a very good point. Way back when I learned to edit (with TECO), I
learned to keep track of the context myself. Context is important while
editing and it is not provided by ed. A simple editor with context on
screen would help the many who are not proficient at non-visual editing.

Is there a simple editor that fits the bill? Requirements would be:
statically linked (?), does not need access to terminal characteristics,
automatically presents context. Should it do more? Could it require more
support?

--
Claude Marinier, Information Technology Group    claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca
Defence Research Establishment Ottawa (DREO)    (613) 998-4901  FAX 998-2675