Subject: Re: editors (was: rc.conf
To: None <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/10/2001 12:34:53
Claude Marinier wrote:
>Dan,
>
>Do you know what makes the difference when using MPW? By the way, what is
>MPW?

Mouse plus cut&paste - essentially I use the mouse with one hand and
the cut & paste keys with the other. I also use the MPW worksheet as
a scratchpad.

MPW is a free program development system provided by Apple. I
understand it is supposed to be similar to the Unix Programmers
Workbench, but I was never lucky enough to use that.
You can get it from

http://developer.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/index.html

>Do you remember TECO on PDP-11 and DECsystem10 (or SPEED on Eclipse)? They
>were very powerful. I have used a Unix version from time to time to solve
>some problems for which it is well suited.

I never used TECO, but I understand the editor used by Data General is similar.

>Then there are the keypad editors, like EDT and EVE(TPU).

Yes, before I discovered MPW, KED was my favorite - I even wrote a
version for the M6809!

>On a different note.
>
>I support some 'mature' scientists that are used to VMS and the DOS editor
>and now have to work on Unix. I am not even going to try introducing them
>to vi. I have showed them joe and jed but they are not happy. Do you guys
>know of somethings else that might do th job?

I use emacs on unix, but it can't compare with MPW

Dan Killoran