Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?which tunnel should I use??=
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/09/2001 22:37:23
Hi folks,

after digging around in the man pages, I found out that NetBSD has many tunnel devices:

gre - encapsulating network device
ipip - encapsulating network device
gif - Generic tunnel network device

What I want is this:

  Intranet-- NetBSD A  ----------------tunnel---------- cisco D------Host E
               \                                          |
                \                                        /
                 +------Host B----------Host C----------+

The NetBSD box (A) has 2 network cards. One to the real router (B) and one to the internal network. The internal network will not use NAT. It should get real network adresses which are routed via the tunnel.

All the internet traffic should go via the tunnel.
Encryption is not needed but would be a cool feature if it does not make things noticable slower.
I it possible to use compession via the tunnel? Does that work with ciscos?

Are the man pages correct regarding the non-working traceroute?
I would like to see just the host A and D and nothing between.

Any suggestions? I am using NetBSD 1.5.1.

Thanks!

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse 23, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 Phone +49 33056 82834
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/  dave@turbocat.de
           DEVELOPMENT * CONSULTING * ADMINISTRATION