Subject: rc.conf
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Walker <diw@tpg.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/09/2001 00:07:35
Frustrating.
A bit of a saga.
I have managed to install netbsd via sysinst.
When I boot from HD I get "rc.conf not configured"
I try vi /etc/rc.conf and I get vi: not found.
I then mount / and /usr and try vi again.
Now I get terminal type unknown or similar.
I tried tset vt100 but it doesn't seem to do anything.
I noticed when it was booting from HD that vt100 came up in the text.

This just in from Rick Byers:

"Have your read about how to use "vi"?  It's kind of a tricky editor
(basically you have to enter command modes like "insert" to add text, so
normal letters sometimes are commands - 'i'=insert - instead of regular
typing).  If you don't want to try using it yet, you can just do the "echo
rc_configured=YES >> /etc/rc.conf" to ADD a line to your rc.conf as Jeremy
Reed suggested.  If you want to try using vi to edit the file, then you'll
first need to tell vi what type of terminal you are using.  Type "export
TERM=vt100".  Now "vi /etc/rc.conf" should work (after mounting your
drives as previously suggested).  If you get stuck in vi type "ESC : q!
ENTER" to abort what your doing and quit without saving - you don't want
to screw up that file or your system won't boot (easy enough to fix, but
still...)."

Thanks Rick.

A few notes.
I have never used any Unix type program before.
I sort of understand most suggestions I am getting.
A few questions I have.
Why do I have to mount any of the native netbsd slices? I would have thought
there would be a file somewhere that mounts these slices once and records
the settings.
Everytime I boot and get "rc.conf not configured" I have to mount stuff to
be able to access man and vi.
Perhaps when rc.conf is happy it may all come together.
I have made maybe 50 phone calls as everytime I try something I have to
reboot and lose my connection (I have a dual boot with windows). Oh, and I
don't have a printer so I write all this stuff down.
I have been trying for 4 days (about 40 hours) to install netbsd and get a
shell.
I don't really know what I'll do with it, hopefully I can find the games and
de-stress.
I reckon it probably won't work and I'll have to set up XWindows or
something I have got no idea how to do.

Have a nice day,
David Walker
diw@tpg.com.au