Subject: Re: rc.conf
To: David Walker <diw@tpg.com.au>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/08/2001 16:59:40
> A few questions I have.
> Why do I have to mount any of the native netbsd slices? I would have
> thought there would be a file somewhere that mounts these slices once and
> records the settings.

There's a "mount -a" being done when it starts, so when your rc.conf is
configured, it mounts everything that is in /etc/fstab and does not have the
option 'noauto' automatically at boot time (see also man fstab;)

> Everytime I boot and get "rc.conf not configured" I have to mount stuff to
> be able to access man and vi.
> Perhaps when rc.conf is happy it may all come together.

Yes, it will all be happy ;)

> I have made maybe 50 phone calls as everytime I try something I have to
> reboot and lose my connection (I have a dual boot with windows). Oh, and I
> don't have a printer so I write all this stuff down.
> I have been trying for 4 days (about 40 hours) to install netbsd and get a
> shell.

Yes, in the beginning it's a torture. But soon (in some months ;>) you'll
love it and start kicking more and more of your other OS away from your HD ;)

> I don't really know what I'll do with it, hopefully I can find the games
> and de-stress.

For me destressing on UNIX means programming ;) It's so relaxing ;)

> I reckon it probably won't work and I'll have to set up XWindows or
> something I have got no idea how to do.

Use xf86config as a start. It's a textbased program to ask you some questions
about your configuration etc.

> Have a nice day,

To you too !

Also go out and read some of the nice manuals that are around (see
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation - there are a couple of links) so you'll
have an easier time. A last note - for finding documentation you might want
to read man man, and check out man -k <keyword> here or there - this last
command searches your manpath (where the manfiles are lying) and searches
through them to see if it finds this keyword in some of those files' titles
and gives you a list of what man pages are fitting.

> David Walker
Good luck furtheron. And remember. BSD is Berkeley System Drug. You'll get
addicted ;>

Martin Weber