Subject: Re: cable modem networking setup
To: Peter Mancuso <unishell@hotmail.com>
From: Rick Byers <rb-netbsd@BigScaryChildren.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/08/2001 09:31:39
Add the lines similar to the following to /etc/rc.conf.  Replace
"ne0" with the interface name of your ethernet card (seen in the
bootup/dmesg output, or ifconfig -a).  This also assumes your IP is
24.42.160.18 (i.e. @home's DNS is properly configured) - if not, put your
IP there instead.  This also assumes your gateway is 24.42.160.1 (@home
has followed that scheme in Ontario in the past, but yours might be
different - MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT), if not - use the correct IP in
defaultroute.

hostname="cr281793-b.wlfdle1.on.wave.home.com"
auto_ifconfig=NO
net_interfaces="ne0"
ifconfig_ne0="inet 24.42.160.18 netmask 255.255.255.128"
defaultroute="24.42.160.1"

Also add:
nameserver 24.2.9.33
nameserver 24.2.9.35
to /etc/resolv.conf.

If all these IP addresses are correct and your cable modem / ethernet card
are working properly than this should do the trick.  If not, try:
ping -n 24.42.160.1    - can you talk to your default gateway?

@Home usually reccomends using DHCP to automatically determine your IP and
gateway, but my experience has been that the @Home DHCP servers are
extremely unreliable.  They may have fixed the problem by now (I switched
to ADSL a year ago), but since your information isn't likely to change you
may be better off hard-coding it.

However, if @Home does ever change any of this information, your
connection will stop working possibly without notice (after using @home
for 3 years, they decided to change everyones IP in my area).  You can use
DHCP INSTEAD of hard-coding all the information if you like.  Setup
/etc/dhclient.conf with lines like:

send dhcp-client-identifier "cr281793-b"
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers, domain-name, host-name,
   domain-name-servers;
require subnet-mask, routers;

And then put "dhclient=YES" into /etc/rc.conf.

Hope this helps,
	Rick