Subject: rc.conf and install
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Walker <diw@tpg.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/08/2001 15:42:22

------=_NextPart_000_0056_01C12020.B6DF14C0

I have done all this and it appears to work (i.e. I have ./MAKEDEV).
I have tried rebooting from HD and it starts but aborts and tells me =
boot from multi-user, mode not possible and to try single user and =
"rc.conf not configured".
I tried -s but it says -s not found.
Unfortunately when I use vi to edit /etc/rc.conf (presumably vi =
/etc/rc.conf) it says vi: not found. Perhaps I need to be in a directory =
other than root to do this?
Apparently all I need to do when editing my rc.conf is change 'no' in =
configured to 'yes'.
Regarding Andrew Gillham's suggestion regarding etc.tgz I'm not so sure =
this is a problem. When I did my install it reported 12 sets found and =
extracted with no errors and the only sets not found were comp and =
xcomp.
I have made a general comment about my posts at the end of this email. =
No I know why I was getting 2 copies of some emails.

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 04:49:37AM +0930, David Walker wrote:
> I have been using sysinst. When sysinst got an error (set not found) =
it just
> asked me if I wanted to continue and then it moved onto the next set.
> So, if I understand correctly, I should boot from floppy, get a prompt =
and
> mount the first partition found when I run fdisk. In my case a?
> Could you explain what sh means? (will the computer be quiet?).
> I'm willing to try it but I have just cd /dev after boot from floppy =
and was
> successful.
> I tried ./MAKEDEV all and ./MAKEDEV was not found.

You need to boot the installation floppy, exit the installation program
using the 'x' option, then type the following commands:
# mount /dev/wd0a /mnt (this assumes you are using the first IDE)
# cd /mnt/dev (cd to /dev on the IDE, not the floppy)
# /bin/sh MAKEDEV all (tell "sh" the shell to execute MAKEDEV)

I think the problem is that /dev/MAKEDEV is in the etc.tgz set, which =
you
don't have!  You might want to try to extract it manually if possible.

Tell me more about your configuration and where the installation sets =
are,
and I can probably help you more.

-Andrew

I also asked Rick Byers:

> Would it be better if I posted these questions to the list? I don't =
want to
> annoy others including you.

I've CC'd this message to the netbsd-help list incase others might =
benefit
from it.  netbsd-help is probably the best place for this discussion
(tech-net and port-i386 are usually assume a little more experience, =
where
netbsd-help is largely for new users).  Just keep CC'ing netbsd-help =
when
you respond, that way if I don't know the answer (or I give you bad
advice, or I am too slow, or just don't feel like responding <grin>)
someone else can jump in.  As long as you don't cross-post (post the =
same
question to many lists), you aren't likely to annoy anyone with your
questions <grin>.  We were all new to NetBSD sometime :)
Rick

And I glad I asked. I have been posting a question and then replying =
individually to answers which is possibly a bit silly as no-one knows =
about these private emails and some of you are answering stuff that has =
just been answered. My bad. As I don't want to waste your time (you'd =
probably end up ignoring me) I will put Rick's suggestion to use.

------=_NextPart_000_0056_01C12020.B6DF14C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>I have done all this and it appears to work (i.e. I have =
./MAKEDEV).<BR>I=20
have tried rebooting from HD and it starts but aborts and tells me boot =
from=20
multi-user, mode not possible and to try single user and &quot;rc.conf =
not=20
configured&quot;.<BR>I tried -s but it says -s not =
found.<BR>Unfortunately when=20
I use vi to edit /etc/rc.conf (presumably vi /etc/rc.conf) it says vi: =
not=20
found. Perhaps I need to be in a directory other than root to do=20
this?<BR>Apparently all I need to do when editing my rc.conf is change =
'no' in=20
configured to 'yes'.<BR>Regarding Andrew Gillham's suggestion regarding =
etc.tgz=20
I'm not so sure this is a problem. When I did my install it reported 12 =
sets=20
found and extracted with no errors and the only sets not found were comp =
and=20
xcomp.<BR>I have made a general comment about my posts at the end of =
this email.=20
No I know why I was getting 2 copies of some emails.<BR><BR><BR>On Wed, =
Aug 08,=20
2001 at 04:49:37AM +0930, David Walker wrote:<BR>&gt; I have been using =
sysinst.=20
When sysinst got an error (set not found) it just<BR>&gt; asked me if I =
wanted=20
to continue and then it moved onto the next set.<BR>&gt; So, if I =
understand=20
correctly, I should boot from floppy, get a prompt and<BR>&gt; mount the =
first=20
partition found when I run fdisk. In my case a?<BR>&gt; Could you =
explain what=20
sh means? (will the computer be quiet?).<BR>&gt; I'm willing to try it =
but I=20
have just cd /dev after boot from floppy and was<BR>&gt; =
successful.<BR>&gt; I=20
tried ./MAKEDEV all and ./MAKEDEV was not found.<BR><BR>You need to boot =
the=20
installation floppy, exit the installation program<BR>using the 'x' =
option, then=20
type the following commands:<BR># mount /dev/wd0a /mnt (this assumes you =
are=20
using the first IDE)<BR># cd /mnt/dev (cd to /dev on the IDE, not the=20
floppy)<BR># /bin/sh MAKEDEV all (tell &quot;sh&quot; the shell to =
execute=20
MAKEDEV)<BR><BR>I think the problem is that /dev/MAKEDEV is in the =
etc.tgz set,=20
which you<BR>don't have!&nbsp; You might want to try to extract it =
manually if=20
possible.<BR><BR>Tell me more about your configuration and where the=20
installation sets are,<BR>and I can probably help you=20
more.<BR><BR>-Andrew<BR><BR>I also asked Rick Byers:<BR><BR>&gt; Would =
it be=20
better if I posted these questions to the list? I don't want to<BR>&gt; =
annoy=20
others including you.<BR><BR>I've CC'd this message to the netbsd-help =
list=20
incase others might benefit<BR>from it.&nbsp; netbsd-help is probably =
the best=20
place for this discussion<BR>(tech-net and port-i386 are usually assume =
a little=20
more experience, where<BR>netbsd-help is largely for new users).&nbsp; =
Just keep=20
CC'ing netbsd-help when<BR>you respond, that way if I don't know the =
answer (or=20
I give you bad<BR>advice, or I am too slow, or just don't feel like =
responding=20
&lt;grin&gt;)<BR>someone else can jump in.&nbsp; As long as you don't =
cross-post=20
(post the same<BR>question to many lists), you aren't likely to annoy =
anyone=20
with your<BR>questions &lt;grin&gt;.&nbsp; We were all new to NetBSD =
sometime=20
:)<BR>Rick<BR><BR>And I glad I asked. I have been posting a question and =
then=20
replying individually to answers which is possibly a bit silly as no-one =
knows=20
about these private emails and some of you are answering stuff that has =
just=20
been answered. My bad. As I don't want to waste your time (you'd =
probably end up=20
ignoring me) I will put Rick's suggestion to use.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0056_01C12020.B6DF14C0--