Subject: Re: Install and msdos partition
To: David Walker <diw@tpg.com.au>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/06/2001 10:17:43
On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, David Walker wrote:

> I eventually moved the NetBSD files to the MSDOS partition I created with
> sysinst as I imagined my problem was the inability of NetBSD to recognise
> FAT32. The only way I could get windows to recognise the MSDOS partition and
> let me move the files from windows to it was to format the MSDOS partition
> (using the DOS command format).

NetBSD should recognize FAT32, but that's OK. As long as you have the
MBR partition to spare, this'll make things simpler.

> Do you know what the correct syntax is for completing this step? I presume I
> am correct in choosing unmounted fs. I presume I am correct in choosing wd0
> as the device. I presume I am correct in choosing MSDOS as the filesystem.

I believe the trick here is to use "msdos" (small letters). Though the
disklabel displays "MSDOS", "mount" expects the argument "-t msdos".

> However, because my MSDOS partition is recognised by disklabel perhaps it is already mounted.

Probably not. Running "disklabel", though, will tell you which
disklabel partition to use. It'll be the letter in the first column of
the line which describes the msdos partition, so for device you'll
enter something like "wd0f".

> So maybe instead of 'unmounted fs' I should choose 'local directory'.

If you want to go that route, you could shell out, mount it, then
return to sysinstall. I suggest you create a mountpoint, as "/mnt" and
"/mnt2" will be used by sysinstall:

	mkdir /d
	mount -t msdos /dev/wd0f /d

(Assumming it's "f". Change as necessary.)

> If I choose local directory and presume that sysinst can access an MSDOS
> partition then all I need to specify is a directory.

With the above example, that would be "/d". One of those methods has
to work for you.

Frederick