Subject: Re: Approve these hdwr's for NetBSD???
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/05/2001 08:25:31
from Gan Starling of Kalamazoo MI USA:

>After recommendations and a bit of research, I've kinda
>decided on this for my home NetBSD box (right now I'm on
>a laptop at home). Does anybody see any glaring caveats
>for NetBSD with these hrdwrs?

>Case: Antec KS-288 Mid-Tower with
>      included Antec PP253X 250 Watt PS.
>CPU: Intel BX80526F700128 Celeron/700
>Motherboard: Intel D815EEAA2L
>Memory: Crucial CT16M64S4D7E 128 MB PC133 CAS2 DIMM
>20GB Hard Drive:Seagate ST320414A Barracuda ATA III
>DVD-ROM: Hitachi GD-7500
>Floppy: Teac FD-235HF
>Monitor: Hitachi CM615U-511 SuperScan 615.

>...or might there be special/different recommendations?

I am not familiar with model numbers or specific motherboards, but now with RAM
so cheap, why stop at 128 MB when you can get 256 MB?  Bloated software like
Mozilla gets ever more bloated.  I'd be inclined toward a bigger hard drive, but
not sure if that's really necessary.

You didn't mention modem and/or Ethernet.  Naturally you would want a hardware
modem and not a Winmodem.

What would you do with DVD-ROM?  Movies or data?

You didn't mention keyboard or mouse.  X Windows prefers three-button mouse.
There are some mice currently available with two big buttons and a little scroll
button in the middle.  I don't know if such a mouse has three-button function.
Current keyboards on the market, at least those I've seen, have Windows keys,
and some have Internet keys too.  I don't know how these keys work in
non-MS-Windows, or what kind of keyboard is used for Unix (including Linux and
the BSDs) servers.

I'm currently looking for a new AMD Athlon computer, am concerned with issues
like motherboard slots, support for onboard audio or anything else onboard, and
possible motherboard chipset bugs.  Anybody know what one does with AMR slot
found on current motherboards?

You didn't mention CD-RW or any possible removable-media drive suitable for
backup, beyond the 1.44 MB floppy.  That's something I'm trying to decide, too.
From what I've heard + personal experience, Iomega Zip drives are not very
reliable/durable, and this problem is not NetBSD-specific.

Another item I wouldn't want to be without is UPS, for protection against surges
and to keep going through split-second power outages that can mess things up
otherwise.