Subject: FTP daemon help
To: 'netbsd-help@netbsd.org' <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Cole, Matthew <MCole@Pirus.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/01/2001 10:37:00
Hi all,

I am writing an embedded FTP daemon for a work-related project.  My problem
is that no GUI-based ftp client can access my directory listings.  I've
sniffed the packet exchanges between several types of servers and clients,
and have come to the conclusion that the client is charged with parsing an
arbitrary directory listing.  DOS/Win based servers report DOS-like
listings, while a POSIX server will return more verbose information,
including permissions, etc.  My daemon returns a DOS-like listing, as the
box has no concept of permissions.  BUT, no GUI-based client can parse the
string that I send to it.  Shell clients work fine, because they merely list
the output of the directory that was sent to it, line by line.  My question
is thus:  Is there any standard of directory listing that must be adhered to
for a client to be able to parse the output?  My first check was the FTP
RFC's, but the LIST specifications are pretty vague, and certainly include
no spec on the line that should be returned.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

--Matt

Matt Cole
Firmware Engineer
Pirus Networks, Inc.