Subject: Re: How to relay faxes to email?
To: Wouter Vijvers <woutje@chello.nl>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/30/2001 18:06:41
On Tue, 1 May 2001, Wouter Vijvers wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to send incoming faxes as pictures (or
> postscript-files or PDF or something) to an email-adress (or maybe do a

This is briefly explained at the Hylafax website:
 http://www.hylafax.org/howto/delivery.html#ss4.3
and
 http://www.hylafax.org/howto/delivery.html#ss4.4

> Although I've no experience with modems under NetBSD, I'll figure out how to
> set up the thing. What I wanna know is: the modem is a 1994 Compaq (of which
> I have no serial-number or anything), do I have any chance of this being
> supported (I haven't seen the thing yet, so I can't give more info. Compaq

Is it an external modem? If it says "Fax" on it, then it should probably
work.

> I found the HylaFax package which seems to be the thing I'm looking for. The
> system it is going to be low on resources (486, 12MB RAM). Is HylaFax
> resource-hungry? Couldn't find that on the site (http://www.hylafax.org).

The faxes that come in are saved as TIFFs which may be large, but since
you'll only be handling one at a time, I'd guess that it should be able to
do it.

> And why do they call faxes "facsimiles"? Is it just lingo or does it have

Facsimile means reproduction. Fax (I believe) is just an abbreviation. In
English, fax sounds like "faks" and facsimile sounds the same at the
beginning of the word.

> any meaning? Can the mgetty+sendfax and modemd packages be of any help? I
> guess they can't do what I want, right?

I think those are for connecting to have the computer send a fax (instead
of receiving a fax).

In your research, you may be interested in reading
 Installing, configuring and using HylaFAX
 http://www.bsdtoday.com/2001/March/Features425.html

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/