Subject: Mouse goes wonky when reattached
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Ben <Benjamin.Wong@cc.gatech.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/25/2001 06:23:29
Hi,

I have a PS/2 wheel-mouse on my NetBSD-i386/1.5 box:

    $ dmesg | grep pms
    pmsi0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
    wsmouse0 at pmsi0 mux 0

It works fine with X (both 3.3 and 4.0) using the wsmouse protocol
until I unplug it and reattach it. After reattaching, the cursor jumps
around randomly as if the mouse is sending the wrong protocol.

My guess is that the mouse needs to be reinitialized when I plug it
back in but there's no way I've found to do that except rebooting my
machine. (Yuck).

I've tried some random things which haven't worked:

       Restarting X.

       Holding down a mouse button while plugging the mouse in.

       Telling X to expect the "PS/2" protocol instead of "wsmouse"
       from /dev/wsmouse.

       Trying to use /dev/wsmouse or wsconctl to set the sampling rate
       in the 200, 200, 80 sequence needed to go in to "intellimode".

Any suggestions people have would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

	Ben

--
Benjamin.Wong@cc.gatech.edu		College of Computing
Georgia Tech Ph.D. Student		Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0280