Subject: dhclient and cable modem
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Leuzinger <chris@asterix.home.westworks.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/23/2001 15:34:06
Hello,

I have run into troubles as I tried to set up a NetBSD-1.5/i386
machine as a gateway. It has got two network devices. One for the LAN
(ep0) and one for the link to ISP via a cable modem (ep1). The modem
is a Samsung Info Ranger SCM-110R, the NICs are 3c509.

My ISP [1] provided me the modem's MAC address, a hostname,  and the
IP addresses of their DNS.

I'm currently running a Linux box with this setup, but as I don't see
very clear on Linux systems I'd like to move to NetBSD. The Linux box
is running dhcpcd, which works fine.

Since NetBSD comes along with dhclient I have to setup this. Well,
that's the point where the whole story is getting difficult. My
problem is, that dhclient doesn't come further than the DHCPDISCOVER
message. What happens is:

root@sam5035:/etc> dhclient ep1
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client V3.0b2pl9
Copyright 1995-2000 Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

Listening on BPF/ep1/00:20:af:35:51:d0
Sending on   BPF/ep1/00:20:af:35:51:d0
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on ep1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I think this is rather what it should not look like. I'm absolutely
clueless, though. I've played with /etc/dhclient.conf and the man
pages, but the result is always the same.

Any hints? TIA,
Chris.

[1] <URL:http://www.shlink.ch/>, not very informative, though :-(
--
Christoph Leuzinger

                              Student at Kantonsschule Schaffhausen, Switzerland
                                           <URL:http://www.westworks.ch/~chris/>