Subject: Re: Gnome default WM
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@maailma.yok.utu.fi>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/23/2001 13:56:15
On 22-Huh-01, Frederick wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, David Power wrote:
>
>> I'm having problems getting gnome to recognize which window manager it should
>> use.  I've installed Enlightenment on the system and changed
>> $HOME/.gnome/default.wm to point to WM=/usr/X11R6/bin/enlightenment but gnome
>> still tells me "You are not running a GNOME Compliant Window Manager".
>
> That's only a warning, so if it works for you... A fully GNOME
> Compliant Window Manager has no bindings for mouse button 1 (all
> reserved for "gmc"), and no bindings for mouse button 3 (they're
> reserved for the gnome menus).

> There's a window manager panel in the gnome control panel. Once you
> add a setting and switch to it, you have to save the session to make
> gnome use that window manager on next start up.

I also had trouble with enlightenment as my default GNOME WM. I had
it set up from GNOME's window manager panel, and didn't try to run
it from any X startup scripts.

However, each time I started GNOME it apparently made no attempt to
actually start E, so I ended up with no WM running and the above
error request. When I went to GNOME window manager panel, it said
that E is my current window manager. Starting it again from the
panel it came up fine.

I then set twm as my default window manager, and GNOME fired it up
each time as it should. Now I use icewm, and that too works well
with GNOME.

--
Arto Huusko  --  WWW: http://maailma.yok.utu.fi/
                  ** Divecalc **