Subject: Re: Gnome default WM
To: David Power <dave.power@gte.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/22/2001 15:58:29
On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, David Power wrote:

> I'm having problems getting gnome to recognize which window manager it should
> use.  I've installed Enlightenment on the system and changed
> $HOME/.gnome/default.wm to point to WM=/usr/X11R6/bin/enlightenment but gnome
> still tells me "You are not running a GNOME Compliant Window Manager".

That's only a warning, so if it works for you... A fully GNOME
Compliant Window Manager has no bindings for mouse button 1 (all
reserved for "gmc"), and no bindings for mouse button 3 (they're
reserved for the gnome menus).

> How
> do you change the default wm for gnome?  Note: Setting .xinitrc to start
> enlightenment works fine.  Also, .xinitrc is "exec gnome-session".

There's a window manager panel in the gnome control panel. Once you
add a setting and switch to it, you have to save the session to make
gnome use that window manager on next start up.

Frederick