Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.5/i386 on Compaq Hardware.
To: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/2001 00:56:52
On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Chris Jones wrote:

> In general, i386 machines are all fairly interchangeable, at least as
> far as NetBSD is concerned.  Also, if NT runs on it, odds are very,
> very good that NetBSD will, too.

That's one reason why I thought the best BSD to try on that machine might
be NetBSD.  If any BSD would work most on it, it had to be NetBSD. :-)

> The important thing:  The brand of the computer has almost no bearing
> on what's actually inside it -- you can get a Dell which is nearly (if
> not completely) identical to a given Compaq, or vice-versa.  If you
> really want to know about compatibility, find out what's inside the
> computer:  What processor, what motherboard/chipset, what kinds of
> drives, what I/O devices, etc.

I see; I don't know all those details except for the CPU speed and stuff
like that.  But I see your point: if I were to get those details, I could
check up if NetBSD supports them.  Fine enough!  I was a bit apprehensive
coz I had always thought these companies had their own hardware etc and so
projects like NetBSD would have a problem working on them ...

Thanks,
__
Rakhesh Sasidharan	rakhesh at cse.iitd.ac.in