Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.5/i386 on Compaq Hardware.
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/19/2001 13:11:57
--MzdA25v054BPvyZa

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 12:30:35AM +0530, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

> I don't know if this is a place to ask a question like this; but still ...

This, or the port-i386 mailing list, are the two best places.

> I have been thinking over the possibilities of buying a second-hand Compaq
> computer.  But I'm not sure whether NetBSD/i386 would work smoothly on
> such "propreitary" hardware ?  That machine belongs to a lab of ours, and
> has only run Windoze NT and the like; now they are offering it for sale,
> and I wasn't sure if it would be a wise deal. =20

In general, i386 machines are all fairly interchangeable, at least as
far as NetBSD is concerned.  Also, if NT runs on it, odds are very,
very good that NetBSD will, too.

The important thing:  The brand of the computer has almost no bearing
on what's actually inside it -- you can get a Dell which is nearly (if
not completely) identical to a given Compaq, or vice-versa.  If you
really want to know about compatibility, find out what's inside the
computer:  What processor, what motherboard/chipset, what kinds of
drives, what I/O devices, etc.

Chris

--=20
Chris Jones                                          Mad scientist at large
  www.netbsd.org www.postgresql.org www.schemers.org www.python.org

--MzdA25v054BPvyZa

--MzdA25v054BPvyZa--