Subject: Re: Gnome problems - Installation
To: David Power <dave.power@GTE.net>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/18/2001 15:59:08
--YolNsh7G+K7zsfIR

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 12:02:31PM -0500, David Power wrote:

> I've attempted to install gnome-1.2.0, gnome-1.2.1, gnome-1.2.1nb1, and g=
nome
> 1.2.4 with no success (Each time on a fresh copy of 1.5 - Many dependency
> problems and always a failure including "Too many open files").  Have tri=
ed
> recursively doing pkg_add of the above and have made some progress.  I've
> added " > add.log" to the "pkg_add -v ... " to try to see what errors are
> being generated without having to stare at the screen for error messages =
(is
> there a log facility for installations?  If so, I missed it in the
> documentation).

You'll probably have the best luck trying one of two things:

1. Use "ulimit" to allow yourself more open files before you run make.

2. When the build bombs out, pick a package about halfway down the
   dependency tree and install it.  Then go back to the top-level
   package and try again.

Note that if something fails partway through, there shouldn't be any
need to un-install packages or re-install NetBSD; pkgsrc is supposed
to handle this sort of thing gracefully.

Of course, the real problem is (apparently) that the pkgsrc system is
running too many recursive makes.  This is probably worthy of a bug
report, if one doesn't already exist.

Chris

--=20
Chris Jones                                          Mad scientist at large
  www.netbsd.org www.postgresql.org www.schemers.org www.python.org

--YolNsh7G+K7zsfIR

--YolNsh7G+K7zsfIR--