Subject: Re: Spinning down SCSI disks?
To: Ian Goldby <iangoldby@iangoldby.free-online.co.uk>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/17/2001 16:38:14
--BghK6+krpKHjj+jk

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 10:53:53PM +0100, Ian Goldby wrote:

> Just wondering if there is any facility in NetBSD 1.5 to spin down SCSI
> disks when it goes into powersave mode? I suppose I don't mean when the
> screen blanks, as that can happen even when the disk is in use, but when
> the disk hasn't been accessed for some time.

As previously noted, this is likely to seriously affect the lifetime
of your disk.

However, you could try putting something in a script in /etc/apm/.
See apmd(8).  Unfortunately, I don't think apm and friends work for
platforms other than i386 -- but I could be wrong.

Chris

--=20
Chris Jones                                          Mad scientist at large
  www.netbsd.org www.postgresql.org www.schemers.org www.python.org

--BghK6+krpKHjj+jk

--BghK6+krpKHjj+jk--