Subject: Re: Zombie processes
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, reed@reedmedia.net>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/17/2001 19:16:06
	On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Antti Kantee wrote:

	> Actually, if you kill a process's parent, it should be inherited by
	> init, which will wait() for the process once it dies and make the zombie
	> ``go away''.
	>
	> You have some buggy programs which don't wait() for their children. Fix
	> them, or as a quick solution, kill the parent.

	What if you don't want to wait() for it? For example, I have a little X
	app that when I click in it, it forks a new process and then execve()'s a
	browser (using the URL from the X copy buffer). (It creates a lot of
	zombies!) I want to wait() for it, but I don't want my parent application
	to stall until the child closes -- any code examples?

Then the parent should install a SIG_CHILD handler.

Eduardo