Subject: Re: Non-degrading priorities?
To: Ian Goldby <iangoldby@iangoldby.free-online.co.uk>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/16/2001 10:04:42
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Ian Goldby wrote:

> Thanks for your response. I guess my question just shows how much I don't
> understand the scheduler! Do you know of any online resource (or even a
> man page I have overlooked) that explains it all? I mean, I'm sure there
> are more than the 20 priority levels that can be set by nice. Ideally,
> I'd like to read something that explains it from a user's perspective,
> rather than the code-level guts!

The nice value is an integer from -20 to 20. -20 is the highest priority
and 20 is the lowest.

man nice will tell you a little bit, although I assume you've already read
that.

There's a pretty good coverage of the BSD scheduler in "The Design and
Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System" by McKusick et al and while
NetBSD might be a little different nowadays [I'm not sure how much the
scheduler has changed - anyone?], the principles are unlikely to have
changed too much.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget