Subject: CVS, NetBSD, MS-WINDOWS, and security.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/15/2001 08:46:30
I wasn't sure if I should ask here, or on tech-security, or if I should
cross-post.  I decided against cross-posting since mentioning BillOS seems
enough of an offense for one message.  (^&

Let's suppose that I have a NetBSD system, and wanted to set up a CVS
repository for a small group, distributed on the Internet.  I don't want
to leave the system wide open, and the group may or may not want its
project's bits running around naked.  Most of the people (through no fault
of my own) would be running MS-WINDOWS.  (They are familiar with
MS-WINDOWS, and would primarily target MS-WINDOWS.)

As far as I understand it, the MS-WINDOWS CVS clients cannot use ssh
clients.

Is there a way to get make this secure, other than simply offering
bootable NetBSD install CD's?  (I wouldn't mind making/offering the CD's,
but I don't think that they'll bite.  (^&)

(Network security isn't normally a major concern of mine.  If the problem
can be solved using a basic technique, then a pointer to a good reference
on the technique would be appreciated.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu