Subject: Re: Spinning down SCSI disks?
To: None <iangoldby@iangoldby.free-online.co.uk, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/15/2001 01:26:49
	Just wondering if there is any facility in NetBSD 1.5 to spin down SCSI
	disks when it goes into powersave mode? I suppose I don't mean when the
	screen blanks, as that can happen even when the disk is in use, but when
	the disk hasn't been accessed for some time.

	The hard disk (salvaged from a DEC Alpha) in this Apple LC475 is rather
	noisy... It would be nice to be able to leave the system up without that
	incessant background noise.

I really don't think you want to do that.  Since disks usually have a
limited number of spinups (around 10,000) you certainly don't want to
use that on an old disk.

Eduardo