Subject: LC_CTYPE and isprint(3)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Friedrich <matt@mafr.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/14/2001 10:55:33
Hello,

I'm new to NetBSD and I have some problems with locale settings that
I couldn't solve on my own.

As I'm from Germany I need some additional characters from ISO-8859-1.
But vi and less don't display them properly (the shell does, however,
because I set the encoding to 'de').

To change this, I tried a lot of different locale settings (and variant
of these):
	LC_CTYPE=de
	LC_CTYPE=de.iso-8859-1
	LC_CTYPE=iso-8859-1
	MM_CHARSET=iso-8859-1

Nothing helped. isprint(3) still returns false (I wrote a test program
to verify this).

The next step would have been to read the libc source code, but
unfortunately, my disk is too small to untar it :-(

My system is a plain NetBSD-1.5 without any major modifications yet. Any
help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
	Matthias