Subject: Re: libXaw3d.so.6.1 not found by GV
To: Ian Goldby <iangoldby@iangoldby.free-online.co.uk>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/09/2001 01:38:23
Ian Goldby writes:

>That's it! My ld.so.conf only had usr/local/lib listed. I've added the other
>two. It appeared that I had to reboot for it to take effect (although I didn't
>try a simple logoff/logon), but it now all works.

I consider adding stuff to /etc/ld.so.conf a kludge (or the whole
file itself, rather...) ideally, ld.so.conf should be empty.  I
have only /usr/local/lib in it because in /usr/local I dump programs
that I compile from their original distribution, and they often
don't link with -Wl,-R/lib/search/path by default.  NetBSD packages
should always do this, therefore you needn't have /usr/pkg/lib in
ld.so.conf (if it fails, rather fix the package.) (I've also removed
/usr/X11R6/lib from it, since then OpenMotif in there always
superseded the LessTif I grow under /usr/local for testing, works
just fine (as it should)).  If gv doesn't currently include the lib
search path in the ELF executable, then it should be persuaded to do
that.

mkb