Subject: Re: libXaw3d.so.6.1 not found by GV
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/08/2001 20:20:26
On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Matthias Buelow wrote:

> I consider adding stuff to /etc/ld.so.conf a kludge (or the whole
> file itself, rather...) ideally, ld.so.conf should be empty. I
> have only /usr/local/lib in it because in /usr/local I dump programs
> that I compile from their original distribution, and they often
> don't link with -Wl,-R/lib/search/path by default.  NetBSD packages
> should always do this, therefore you needn't have /usr/pkg/lib in
> ld.so.conf (if it fails, rather fix the package.) (I've also removed
> /usr/X11R6/lib from it, since then OpenMotif in there always
> superseded the LessTif I grow under /usr/local for testing, works
> just fine (as it should)).  If gv doesn't currently include the lib
> search path in the ELF executable, then it should be persuaded to do
> that.

For one thing, it's an a.out executable. I just tried to build and run
"gv" on mac68k/1.4.3 -- it links with "gcc ... -R/usr/X11R6/lib" (not
"-Wl,-rpath" or "-Wl,-R"), but it seems to work anyway, even with no
/usr/X11R6/lib in ld.so.conf (and "ldconfig; ldconfig -r" showing no X
shared libs).

"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/" on NetBSD-1.4.3 and NetBSD-1.5 are nearly
the same, so if "imake" is brokenly using "-R" instead of "-Wl,-rpath"
or "-Wl,-R", it's broken on both (for a.out).

Frederick