Subject: Re: Voice over IP packages?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: James Sharp <jsharp@psychoses.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/05/2001 14:21:26
> > For what its worth, when I get more than about 5 minutes of time to
> > myself, I'm going to be porting the FreeBSD driver for the Quicknet
> > Line/Phonejack to NetBSD...unless someone's already done it and I haven't
> > seen it.
>
> What is it for? Please tell us more ...

Its a card made by Quicknet, specifically designed for VoIP work.  There's
a couple of models, but they all basically do the same thing.  They
interface to either a phone or a phone line and handle all the call
control on the board.

They have really quick DSP chips that do all the codecing of the audio
stream, echo cancellation, and DTMF tone decoding.  They also have onboard
ring generators and the DSPs can also generate call progress tones
(busy..ring..dialtone..etc).

look at http://www.linuxjack.com/ for more information.